4) Applying through the Common App
Before you apply for the Institute for the Liberal Arts, please read the Application Guide and understand the relationship between the concentrations and the departments. All students at the ILA follow the same curriculum especially designed for the ILA program. However, on paper each student is also registered in one of six faculties. The placement of faculty and department is only for administrative purposes and degree certificate issuance upon graduation (refer to the chart below).Applicants can number their first to third choice of concentration on the Application for admission, but the final placement will be made by the University. Since each concentration has a limited number of places, all successful applicants will be apportioned to the concentration of their choice in order of their score. If the first (second) choice has already been filled, applicants will be placed in their second (third) choice. You will be notified of the concentration, faculty, and department to which you are admitted in the letter of acceptance. Once assigned, Doshisha University policy does not allow ILA students to change their concentrations, faculties, or departments.
|Japanese Society and Global Culture||Letters||English / Philosophy / Aesthetics and Art Theory / Cultural History / Japanese Literature|
|Social Studies||Sociology / Social Welfare / Media, Journalism and Communications / Industrial Relations / Education and Culture|
|Japanese Business and the Global Economy||Economics||Economics|
|Japanese Politics and Global Studies||Law||Law / Political Science|
|Policy Studies||Policy Studies|
1. Sending required documents by the deadline1) English Proficiency Score
Submit at least one of the following scores by the deadline (No photocopies)
(The submission of test score is exempted for applicants who are native speakers of English and applicants with twelve or more years of education in English)
- TOEFL iBT® TEST 85 or above (Institution Code: 7078)
- IELTS Academic Module 6.5 or above, IELTS on Computer Academic Module and IELTS for UKVI Academic Module are also accepted.IELTS online is not accepted.
- Duolingo English Test 120 or above
- ACT Combined English/Writing 22 or above (College Code: 9078)
- New SAT Reading Test 28 or above, and Writing & Language Test 29 or above (College Code: 7231)
- Request Test Center to send the Official Score Report directly to Doshisha University or send an original Test Taker Score Report if TOEFL. Applicants are advised to request the delivery of the official scores well in advance as it may take more than seven weeks for the scores to be delivered to the University. We will accept if it arrives before the application period. The test scores must be no more than two years old at the time of deadline.
2) Document(s) verifying your educational qualification
Ask your school to submit at least one of the following documents through Common App along with other school documents (High school academic trascript and recommendation letter). If your school has any problems with the submission of your school documents through Common App, please contact the ILA office. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Certificate of (expected) High School Graduation
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (A full IB diploma is required. An IB certificate is not acceptable. Predicted Grades are acceptable)
- A-LEVEL Results (Predicted Results are acceptable)
- Abitur Certificate
- French Baccalaureate Certificate
- Prescribed form “Certificate of (Expected) Graduation” (if your High School does not issue an official certificate)
- Other documents proving your educational background
3) Application fee waiver and Scholarship Request Forms for Applicants from Least Developing Countries or Low-Income Countries. (September entry Only)
Please refer to the information in the Link to confirm your eligibility.
Download Request Form for an Application Fee Waiver and The Doshisha University Scholarship for Students from Developing Countries and submit the two original forms to ILA office by post. We do not accept the Forms by email. Don't forget to sign the application forms.
The deadline for the submission of documents when applying through Common App follows the deadline when applying directly through the ILA office
|Entry||Application Period through ILA office||Application Period through Common Application||Notification of Document Screening Results|
|Interview Dates||Notification of Results|
|August 1 -|
September 7, 2023
|August 1 -|
September 1, 2023
|October 20, 2023||November 2 or 4, 2023||November 24, 2023|
|January 15, 2024 -|
February 29, 2024
|January 15, 2024 -|
February 22, 2024
|April 12, 2024||April 18, 20 or May 11, 2024||May 24, 2024|
- Translation of documents
2. Application Fee through Common AppApplication Fee of ＄117 (non-refundable) must be paid through Common App at the same time as submitting your application. Unfortunately, we do not accept any Fee Waiver Applications except for applicants who enroll in September from Least Developed Countries or Low-Income Countries as classified by the OECD/DAC. If you do not pay an application fee, your application will be automatically invalidated.
3. Notice of ReceiptYou will receive a notice of receipt (within 2 weeks). Other than that, Doshisha University may contact you regarding your application. After submitting your application, it is important that you check your email regularly, including the spam folder.
We look forward to receiving your application.