4) Applying through the Common Application
Before you apply for the Liberal Arts program through the Common Application, please read the Application Guide and understand the relationship between the concentrations and the departments. All students at the ILA follow the same curriculum especially designed for the ILA program. However, on paper each student is also registered in one of six faculties. The placement of faculty and department is only for administrative purposes and degree certificate issuance upon graduation (refer to the chart below), and the final placement will be made by the University. You will be notified of the concentration, faculty and department to which you are admitted in the letter of acceptance.
|Japanese Society and Global Culture||Letters||English / Philosophy / Aesthetics and Art Theory / Cultural History / Japanese Literature|
|Social Studies||Sociology / Social Welfare / Media, Journalism and Communications / Industrial Relations / Education and Culture|
|Japanese Business and the Global Economy||Economics||Economics|
|Japanese Politics and Global Studies||Law||Law / Political Science|
|Policy Studies||Policy Studies|
1. Sending Supplementary Documents1) English Proficiency Score
Submit at least one of the following scores:
- TOEFL® iBT 85 or above (College Code: 7078)
- IELTS Academic Module 6.5 or above
- Duolingo English Test 110 or above
- ACT Combined English/Writing 22 or above (College Code: 9078)
- Old SAT Critical Reading and Writing sections 510 or above (Designated Institution Code: 7231)
- New SAT Reading Test 28 or above, and Writing & Language Test 29 or above (Designated Institution Code: 7231)
Send an original Test Taker Score Report (no photocopies) or request the Test Center to send the Official Score Report directly to Doshisha University. Applicants are advised to request the delivery of the official scores in advance as it may take more than eight weeks for the scores to be delivered to the University. The test scores must be no more than two years old at the time of submission. Please note that submission is optional for native speakers of English and applicants with 12 or more years of education in English.
2) Photograph data
Send identical photograph data (color, full front face without hat, taken within three months).
Important Notes on Supplementary Documents
Translation of documentsIf official documents such as Graduation Certificates and Transcripts of Grades are issued in a language other than English or Japanese, it is the applicant’s responsibility to attach an English or Japanese translation officially notarized by a foreign embassy in Japan or a Japanese Embassy abroad. If such notarized translations cannot be provided, an English or Japanese translation issued by the relevant school will be accepted provided that it has the school’s official seal.
2. Completing the Common ApplicationPlease complete the Common Application by the respective deadlines.
The Application Fee of 15,000 (JPY) (non-refundable) must be paid before submitting or mailing the application. However, if you are an applicant from a developing country, the Application Fee will be waived if you submit a prescribed request form.
3. Notice of ReceiptYou will receive a notice of receipt (within 2 weeks). Other than that, Doshisha University may contact you regarding your application. After submitting your application, it is important that you check your email regularly, including the spam folder.
We look forward to receiving your application.