4) Applying through the Common Application
Before you apply for the Liberal Arts program through the Common Application, please read the Application Guide and understand the relationship between the concentrations and the departments. All students at the ILA follow the same curriculum especially designed for the ILA program. However, on paper each student is also registered in one of six faculties. The placement of faculty and department is only for administrative purposes and degree certificate issuance upon graduation (refer to the chart below).Applicants can number their first to third choice of concentration on the Application for admission, but the final placement will be made by the University. Since each concentration has a limited number of places, all successful applicants will be apportioned to the concentration of their choice in order of their score. If the first (second) choice has already been filled, applicants will be placed in their second (third) choice. You will be notified of the concentration, faculty, and department to which you are admitted in the letter of acceptance. Once assigned, Doshisha University policy does not allow ILA students to change their concentrations, faculties, or departments.
|Japanese Society and Global Culture||Letters||English / Philosophy / Aesthetics and Art Theory / Cultural History / Japanese Literature|
|Social Studies||Sociology / Social Welfare / Media, Journalism and Communications / Industrial Relations / Education and Culture|
|Japanese Business and the Global Economy||Economics||Economics|
|Japanese Politics and Global Studies||Law||Law / Political Science|
|Policy Studies||Policy Studies|
1. Sending Supplementary Documents1) English Proficiency Score
Submit at least one of the following scores by deadline : Original Scores (No photocopy)
( The submission of test scores is exempted for applicants who are native speakers of English and applicants with twelve or more years of education in English.)
- TOEFL iBT® TEST 85 or above (Institution Code: 7078)
- IELTS Academic Module 6.5 or above, IELTS on Computer Academic Module and IELTS for UKVI Academic Module are also accepted.
- Duolingo English Test 110 or above
- ACT Combined English/Writing 22 or above (College Code: 9078)
- New SAT Reading Test 28 or above, and Writing & Language Test 29 or above (College Code: 7231)
Send an original Test Taker Score Report (no photocopies) or request the Test Center to send the Official Score Report directly to Doshisha University. Applicants are advised to request the delivery of the official scores in advance as it may take more than eight weeks for the scores to be delivered to the University. The test scores must be no more than two years old at the time of submission.
2) Document(s) verifying your educational qualification
Ask your school or institution to send at least one of the following documents directly to ILA Office by email attachment or by post by deadline.
- Certificate of (expected) High School Graduation
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (A full IB diploma is required. An IB certificate is not acceptable. Predicted Grades are acceptable)
- A-LEVEL Results (Predicted Results are acceptable)
- Abitur Certificate
- French Baccalaureate Certificate
- The prescribed form “Certificate of (Expected) Graduation” (if your High School does not issue an official certificate)
- Other documents proving your educational background
3) Photograph data
Send identical photograph data to email@example.com by email attachment. (color, full front face without hat, taken within three months).
4) Request Form for an Application Fee Waiver, 2023 Doshisha University and
2023 The Doshisha University Scholarship for Students from Developing Countries
(Application for Admission in September 2023 only)
Read the Application Guide 2023 page.19 to confirm if you are eligible.
Obtain Request Form for an Application Fee Waiver and The Doshisha University Scholarship for Students from Developing Countries from the ILA website and submit the original form to ILA office by post by deadline.
- Deadline :The deadline applying through Common App is one week earlier than applying through the ILA office.The application deadline applying through Common App for April 2023 Entry is September 1,2022 and September 2023 Entry is March 2,2023.The deadlines for sending Supplrmrntsry Documents is for April 2023 Entry is September 8,2022 and September 2023 Entry is March 9,2023.
- Translation of documents :If official documents such as Graduation Certificates and Transcripts of Grades are issued in a language other than English or Japanese, it is the applicant’s responsibility to attach an English or Japanese translation officially notarized by a foreign embassy in Japan or a Japanese Embassy abroad. If such notarized translations cannot be provided, an English or Japanese translation issued by the relevant school will be accepted provided that it has the school’s official seal.
2. Completing the Common ApplicationPlease complete the Common Application by the respective deadlines.
The Application Fee of ＄139 (non-refundable) must be paid at the same time as submitting the application. However, if you are an applicant from a developing country, the Application Fee will be waived if you submit a prescribed request form(refer to the supplementary Documents-4) )
3. Notice of ReceiptYou will receive a notice of receipt (within 2 weeks). Other than that, Doshisha University may contact you regarding your application. After submitting your application, it is important that you check your email regularly, including the spam folder.
We look forward to receiving your application.