1. Home
  2. Admissions
  3. 9) FAQ

9) FAQ

About the ILA

May I ask how many students on average apply for the course?
Unfortunately, we do not disclose any statistics regarding our applicants.
However, we accept around 50 students for one year which include spring and fall semester intake.

What is the ratio between Japanese and international students?
This varies, depending on the cohort. Most ILA students are not Japanese, but many Japanese students from across Doshisha take ILA classes. Students are accepted from about 40 areas and countries and many ILA students are bi-national.

I am interested in knowing more about your graduate program and the admission process, but it does not contain much about your graduate program on the website.
The ILA is an undergraduate program only. However Doshisha University offers English-based graduate degree programs. For more details, please visit the webpage

Can I visit the campus?
We are not able to arrange meetings with professors or class observations, however you can visit our campus and we are happy to meet you at the ILA office and answer any questions you may have.

Application Requirements

What are non-traditional applicants?
Non-traditional applicants are prospective applicants who do not meet our admission requirements. For example, applicants with less than 12 years education are considered non-traditional applicants. Non-traditional applicants need to contact the ILA Office for details well in advance of the application deadline. We will screen their educational background and documents to decide whether they are eligible or not. If they are eligible, they can officially apply for our program.

Do you have any requirement such as age or do you also give equal opportunities to mature students?
Students should be at least 18 years of age at the time of enrollment at the University unless you skipped a grade or started your compulsory education earlier. We give completely equal opportunities to any age.

Application Procedure

Can I apply online?
We started to accept online application through the Common Application from 2017 admission. For more details, please refer to the webpage.

I have missed the application deadline. Is it possible to send in a late application?
We do not accept late applications. All the required documents must arrive at the ILA Office by the respective deadlines.

Application Documents

For the Certificate of Expected Graduation, may I send my high school’s official form?
You can submit the Certificate of Expected Graduation using your school’s form. Please note that the Certificate should be written in Japanese or English.

May I submit a copy of my original diploma? I am unable to submit the original since I only have one and I need to keep it.
We only accept originals or officially notarized/certified documents. If you submit original documents and would like to have them returned, please enclose a note in the application packet indicating which document(s) you wish to have returned.

I have already ordered ETS to send an official TOEFL score report directly to Doshisha University. Do you accept this if it arrives before the application period?
Yes. Please indicate on the application check list that you have ordered an official TOEFL score report to be sent directly to us.

Would you tell me the successful applicant’ average marks of TOEFL, IELTS and Duolingo?
Unfortunately, we do not currently disclose any statistics regarding our applicants. Those who have TOEFL® iBT 85, IELTS Academic 6.5, and Duolingo 110 are eligible to apply.

Can my "letter of recommendation" be written in Japanese?
Letters of recommendation should be written in English but if you cannot find anyone who can write it in English, we would accept it written in Japanese.

Can I ask my school to send a letter of recommendation directly to the ILA?
Yes. Please indicate on the application check list that it will be sent directly from your school.

One of my application documents will not reach your office in time for the application period. Can I send other documents first by the application deadline and another document after the deadline?
Yes but all the documents must arrive at the ILA Office by the deadline. We do not process incomplete applications.

Transfer Student

Can I apply as a transfer student?
There are a limited number of places for transfer students. Please contact the ILA Office to confirm availability before applying.

Is it possible to transfer some credits from my former university?
Yes. The credit transfer procedures starts after a student is accepted. If you would like to request credit transfer, you need to submit official transcripts, syllabi, and the curriculum or other documents that describe the courses in detail. Please note that some of your credits may not be approved by the ILA. You may need to spend more than two years (four semesters) to earn a BA degree.

How many courses would I have to take if I am enter as a third year student?
The number of credits you need to earn at Doshisha for graduation depends on how many transfer credits you can get. ILA students must complete a total of 124 credits. In general, you can earn 2 credits for each course at the ILA.

I am currently in a junior college (専門学校). Can I apply for a third-year transfer student admission?
You need to submit a certificate that indicates that you will be receiving a Diploma (専門士).

Japanese Language

Is it necessary for me to take any Japanese language course?
The ILA program is taught exclusively in English and has no Japanese language requirement. We recommend that you to take Japanese courses to enhance your life in Kyoto. To do so, please take the Japanese Placement Test conducted by the Center for Japanese Language and Culture (CJLC). It is usually done prior to enrollment and determines class placement.

Are students in the ILA program allowed to take courses in Japanese in other departments if they want?
Students may take courses in Japanese offered by other departments from their 3rd semester. General and Liberal Education Subjects in Japanese are available from 1st semester if their Japanese language is good enough to follow the classes.

Can I take Japanese language courses since I have been away from Japanese education for a while, although my mother tongue is Japanese?
Please take the Japanese Placement Test. You may not be able to take Japanese language courses if the CJLC judges based on the test result that your level of Japanese proficiency is too high and you do not need to study Japanese.Please note that students whose native language is Japanese are not permitted to register for Japanese Language courses.